07 September 2014

Weekends

One of the last times I saw Sarah, we were talking about house work. "I used to be so confused why people would clean on Saturdays, but it makes so much sense now. The house is clean for Sunday, and clean enough to start the week on Monday and not be overwhelmed." My family cleaned on Saturdays growing up, as well, and even though I have thought it's probably a good idea, memories of childhood chores (by no means unreasonable or overdone!), have made me reluctant to start that habit. As the year began close to top speed this past week, though, when I looked around my house, I realized Something Must Be Done. It was bad, folks. Bad. Last time I did laundry, it looked like this:


and this is about 1/6 of what I had going yesterday. I washed and dried for two full days, then yesterday added in moving furniture, steam mopping floors, scrubbing cabinets and baseboards, general decluttering, bill paying, bathroom scrubbing, and book reshelving (if we were in England, I think we would have enough books for a mobile library). I worked my butt off, man. (Well, not exactly, but we don't need to go there.) I still have a lot more to do, as well, but at least my kitchen floor is not grey and my crawling baby doesn't come up *quite* so full of dirt and hair. I feel accomplished--what an accomplishment! And it just feels good. It feels more like home.
Remind me, again, why home-making has been so denegrated? Please? Because, folks, I am way happier and far more satisfied than I ever felt in some stupid office.

4 comments:

Jenn @ Vita Carminis said...

Here here! I feel so much peace and joy when I've done something to put my house in better order.

For the record, my mom had usis six kids do lick and a promise chores on Wednesday and then deeper cleans on Saturdays. Seemed to work well!

Hugs for you and yours!

Jenn @ Vita Carminis said...

*Hear hear!

Damn you, auto correct!

Laura said...

Good work! We did Saturday chores too. Well, Saturday bathroom cleaning. We usually did yard work on Wednesdays, which were my dad's day off. Dreaded both. :-)

j'aime said...

Ah, the bathroom cleaning! That's what leaves the most vivid memories! ;) Never thought about having a yard work day, but definitely will need to incorporate that when these boys get older.
also a great idea, Jenn! so good to have company in this endeavour!