02 October 2007

born to laugh

i had several impassioned ideas whirling through my head these past couple of weeks, until i came face to face with the very unpleasant picture of myself. i was feeling very virtuous, almost self-satisfied, and whenever that happens you'd better watch it, because God, merciful God, wants us to be holy, and holiness is absolutely impossible without humility. st. francis said to keep our sins always before us, that we may be ever mindful of the mercy of God and remember our complete dependence on Him.
last week, burdened by all the troubles that come one's way in life, the statue of the Sacred Heart reminded me to lay it down (one of the many reasons we need statues in our churches!). please, please, God, please take all these, because they are far too heavy for me. thank God we can do that with ourselves: please catch me, God, because i am too heavy for myself. sin is too heavy for me, and my vices, bad habits, and selfish oblivion are going to destroy what You have given me.
recently, the sunday Gospel reading was that of the servants and the talents. we have to be responsible for what He has given us, both the gifts that are part of us and who we are, and the ones that He gives us throughout our lives - education, relationships, family, children (still waiting on that one!), money, career, et cetera, et cetera ... which means that we have to always work towards holiness, and always be vigilantly mindful of imperfections. BUT -




1 comment:

Little Things said...

I didn't know you had a blog! I really loved this post by the way! Truly beautiful!