04 February 2015

Own It

i did not want to get out of bed this morning. the boys have been waking up before six--oh yes, you read that right: before six a.m.; the baby has had a *major* regression with night weaning; i've been fighting migraines for the last several days; i am overwhelmed and depressed and believe me there are totally legit reasons.
i don't want to do it.
i don't want to get up. i don't want to get dressed. don't want to make a fire, make breakfast, get cantankerous belligerent children dressed, get people out the door, feed all these animals.
I. DON'T. WANT. TO.
why can't someone else come do this for me? i really am not feeling so great. why can't someone else take my son to school? run these errands for me? clean my kitchen for me?
oh wait. because it's MY LIFE. these are MY responsibilities, and as exhausted and frustrated and beyond-the-end-of-my-rope as i feel, guess what, self? This IS my circus. These ARE my monkeys. It is not anyone else's responsibility to take care of my life.
Period.

Am I right? Am I right or what?!
And I know what happens when Mama quits. When she just gives up and decides she's not going to face the overwhelming responsibilities. It's ugly. And I won't go there. No matter how hard it is.
This is my life. This is my day, and it is not just my responsibility, it is my RIGHT to own this day.
So from one tired, cranky, exhausted, overwhelmed mama to another: OWN IT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Jamie -
Not sure how to make you feel better other than to say "I have been there many times and this too shall pass" I used to want to hit someone when someone would tell me that little kids small problems, big kids big problems. this was never the case and still would like to hit someone for this dumb statement. Jamie you are such a great mom - looking at you from my perspective is wow still nursing and doing all the teaching and preaching and feeding etc. Here is a statement I kinda like: "on particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%...And that is pretty good." love Bonnie (miss Sarah's mommy)

j'aime said...

oh Bonnie, thanks so much! and it helps having such wonderful friends. definitely couldn't do this on my own!