25 March 2007

the li'le life of the gipsy

so i haven't posted anything in a while, and thought maybe i should do that. i have lots of thoughts about eliot, such as how the waste land, although a from a specific time period, does in fact show the general condition of any *individual* who deliberately rejects God, tradition, and high culture in general, or the one who replaces love with lust. or how eliot incorporates a variety of different cultures, philosophies, and religions in what he discovered as the fullness of truth. or how my shakespeare professor is trying to save the world with words while rejecting the Word. so i get so many thoughts going that i can't decide which to write about and chose to not write about any of them and write about myself instead.
i'm delirious with modern poetry this semester. i have finally found my niche, and it is difficult to describe the feeling of that fit, when you find what you are supposed to do, or what (or whom) you really love. i will leave shakespeare with the above comment. it has been good for me in many ways. and jane austen is good. goo
d to include all types of literature, to keep the balance.
and about the "whom": we went to michigan over spring break to meet my family, which was delightful. it was so good to see my sisters again, although two of them are very nearly as tall as i and they are all growing up in the most delightful way. my nephew has developed a way of saying "i just can't right now" whenever he doesn't want to do something, which is pretty funny. "no, i can't sit in my chair right now. i have to go play with my trains." as his mum & grandmum said, the whole world is a choo-choo. literally. he can find trains anywhere. we rode my horses, which was so nice. and when my ornery, anti-social, bull-headed mare will listen to a stranger, and a strange man, at that, it is a good sign. and my nephew? "you just cannot go. mr. ryan has to stay here. mr. ryan, you cannot go in her car." what's that they say about animals and children?
and: Happy Feast of the Annunciation! and most Blessed Passion Sunday, moving into the most penitential times of Lent.

1 comment:

lover of beauty said...

My dear, it is beautiful, and you are so wise.