27 May 2006

quelqu'un m'a dit

preferring the old Mass, and for Ascension Thursday to be, well, on thursday, i hied myself to DC for Solemn High Mass, which always leaves me feeling exposed and vulnerable ... getting home rather late and still feeling raw of soul and bruised of heart, i pulled out my o. henry collection and let the book do as it would. it opened to a story about destiny, in which three alternate endings are given. in different scenarios, for different reasons and in different ways, the main character ends up being killed by the gun of some sadistic marquis. i am not sure that our *destiny*, if such a thing truly exists, is truly so inescapable, but things being as they are, i cannot help but wonder.

speaking of sadistic, regarding murder in the cathedral being meant to entertain the audience, one of my students said, "When someone it dragged against their will by others I cannot help smiling when I picture it." (sic)


Someone said to me that our lives are pretty worthless
They pass in an instant just like roses wilt
Someone said to me that time that slips away is a bastard
Who takes our sorrows to make overcoats for himself
Someone said to me that fate makes fun of us
That it gives us nothing and promises us everything
It seems like happiness is within our grasp
So we reach out to grab it and find that we’ve gone mad
~carla bruni

1 comment:

j'aime said...

oui. italian model that was mick jagger's candy for a while, poor dear. check her out, all.